We accept applications for five categorical General Surgery Residency positions through participation in the National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®). All applications are accepted and filled exclusively through participation in the Electronic Residency Application Service® (ERAS®) through the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Our program will participate in the AAMC ERAS Supplemental Application designed to help students share more about themselves (i.e., education, research, work experience, and future career, etc.) and assist program directors in finding applicants that fit their program’s setting and mission. Paper applications will not be accepted.
Completed applications will undergo a holistic review process by our recruitment committee for interview selection. Applications must include the following items:
- Common application form
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- Dean's letter
- USMLE score reports
- Personal statement
USMLE Step 1 and Step 2
As a result of transition to USMLE Step 1 pass/fail reporting, a pass result of Step 1 is required to be considered for an interview. Applicants are strongly encouraged to include Step 2 in their application, and applicants must provide proof of passing Step 2 before the rank list deadline to be considered for the Match.
This year, we are offering qualified applicants the opportunity for participation in either in-person or virtual interviews. This will help provide applicants with an interview that best meets their personal needs and allows the program to potentially reach a larger, more diverse set of applicants.
The first round of interview invitations will be sent via email on Wednesday, October 26, 2022, in accordance with the national release date. Applicants will be allowed 48 hours to respond to interview invitations before the offer is extended to another applicant. Additionally, detailed information about the interview day will be included with interview invitations.
The following are the interview dates for the 2022-2023 cycle:
- 11/11/2022: Virtual
- 11/18/2022: In-person
- 12/2/2022: In-person
- 12/9/2022: Virtual
- 12/16/2022: Virtual
- 1/6/2023: In-person
Answers to Common Questions
- Our National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) match codes are as follows:
- General Surgery Program: 1314440C0
- General Surgery/MIDOCs Rural Surgery Program: 1314440C1
- The General Surgery/MIDOCs Rural Surgery Program is offered to general surgery residents who are interested in serving populations residing in urban or rural Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) or a Medically Underserved Area or Population (MUA/P) in the state of Michigan, for two years following their graduation. For more information on the MIDOCS program, including how participation qualifies you for up to $75,000 in educational loan repayment, check out our MIDOCs webpage.
- Medical School Graduation Date: Applicants are required to have graduated from medical school within the previous two years.
- International Medical Graduates (IMG): At WMed, we do not require ECFMG Certification to apply, but you must obtain certification before beginning residency. The sponsorship of J-1 visas is considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Application Deadline: The deadline for applications is December 30, 2022. If you are chosen to interview, you will be contacted via email to select a date for your interview.
Learn more about our program, including our Resident Appointment Policy, Visa Information, Overview of Salary & Benefits, and a Sample Resident Contract.