Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Contact InformationPatient Care Related:
Madhavi Latha Nagalla, MD, is a board-certified psychiatrist the residency program director in the Department of Psychiatry at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine in Kalamazoo, Michigan. She earned her medical degree from Guntur Medical College, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India. She completed a psychiatry residency with Nassau University Medical Center, East Meadow, New York. She served as chief resident in her final year of her residency. In addition to her residency training, Dr. Nagalla has completed a fellowship in psychotherapy with the Michigan Psychoanalytic Society, Ann Arbor, Michigan, and a fellowship in psychosomatic therapy with the University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan, as well as receiving additional training in electroconvulsive therapy, also at the University of Michigan.
Education and Training
- Fellowship 2014, Psychotherapy, Michigan Psychoanalytic Society
- Fellowship 2014, Psychosomatic Therapy, University of Michigan Health System
- Residency 2013, Psychiatry, Nassau University Medical Center
- MBBS 2006, Guntur Medical College
- Women's Mental Health
- Psychosomatic Medicine
- Perinatal mental health
- General Adult Psychiatry
- Electroconvulsive Therapy
Huremović D., Nagalla M.L., Khan S. Allotrichophagia: A Unique Case of Parental Adjustment to Filial Pediatric Malignancy Case Reports in Psychiatry. 2022;2022
Munson K.A., Janney C.A., Goodwin K., Nagalla M. Cultural Representations of Borderline Personality Disorder Frontiers in Sociology. 2022;7
Sha Q., Achtyes E., Nagalla M., Keaton S., Smart L.A., Leach R., Brundin L. Associations between estrogen and progesterone, the kynurenine pathway, and inflammation in the post-partum Journal of Affective Disorders. 2021;281:9-12.
Achtyes E., Keaton S.A., Smart L.A., Burmeister A.R., Heilman P.L., Krzyzanowski S., Nagalla M., Guillemin G.J., Escobar Galvis M.L., Lim C.K., Muzik M., Postolache T.T., Leach R., Brundin L. Inflammation and kynurenine pathway dysregulation in post-partum women with severe and suicidal depression Brain, Behavior, and Immunity. 2020;83:239-247.
Yskes R., Thomas R., Nagalla M. A case of decreased milk production associated with aripiprazole Primary Care Companion to the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2018;20(6)
- Waxing and Waning of Delirium or Manipulative Behavior?. Klomparens E, Nagalla M-L, White R, 41st Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 05/2023
- Acute Emergence of Suicidal Thoughts Following Lemborexantin Initiation: An Adverse Reaction Case Report. Roberts T, Nagalla M-L, 41st Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 05/2023
- Pregnant, Postpartum, and Unnoticed During the Pandemic: A Literature Review. Shelkay S, Nagalla M, Tareen RS, 41st Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical & Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 05/2023
- Marijuana Use and Breastfeeding: Provider Practices in a Newly Legalized State. Duerst A, Mao K, Nagalla ML, 41st Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical & Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 05/2023