WMed has established preferred relationships with Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo College, Grand Valley State University, and Albion College. We seek to build relationships with, support, and recruit students from these programs to WMed. While students from these programs receive an early look in our admissions process, they must apply through AMCAS, are selected through the regular selection process, and must meet all admission requirements.
WMedStart Early Decision Program
WMedStart is designed to help us identify students from our preferred relationship institutions who would like to commit to attending WMed early. This early decision program allows students to apply and be accepted during their junior year of undergraduate education for admission to WMed for the academic year following completion of their bachelor’s degree. The program is open to students in their junior year, and eligible students in their senior year, from WMed’s preferred relationship institutions. This is a binding program and students accepted through the WMedStart program are restricted from applying to other medical schools.
This program allows you the opportunity during your senior year to focus on learning and successfully completing your undergraduate studies. You can avoid incurring the expense of energy, time, and money of applying, traveling, and interviewing at multiple medical schools. With the assurance of admission to medical school you have the security to explore educational opportunities and experiences during your final year of undergraduate education.
Through the WMedStart program, we look for students with outstanding experiences, attributes and academic performance. Because we do not require an MCAT score for admission through this program, we rely heavily on the undergraduate GPA and either ACT or SAT scores. We require a 3.5 science GPA (biology, chemistry, physics, and math) and a cumulative GPA of 3.7. We require either an ACT minimum of 30 or SAT minimum score of 1350. (Note: ACT or SAT exam scores taken after beginning undergraduate education are not accepted.) Before matriculating into WMed, students must earn an MCAT score meeting the medical school’s required minimum score.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.7 or higher
- 3.5 Science GPA
- ACT score of 30 or higher, or SAT score of 1350 or higher
Strongly Recommended Coursework
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
In order to apply, the following materials are required:
- WMedStart Application
- Current Resume
- Two essays – each should be approximately one page in length.
- Describe why you wish to enroll at WMed. Please describe your connection to southwest Michigan, your plans through medical school matriculation, and why the WMedStart program is the right fit for you.
- Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, and life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession.
- Letters of Reference
- No more than four letters of reference with two coming from faculty members who can comment on academic achievement and personal qualities.
- ACT/SAT Score Report
- An official score report or an official high school transcript reporting the score.
- Official copies from all colleges and universities you have attended.
- Citizenship Verification
- Photocopy of your passport, driver’s license, or permanent resident card.
- Application Fee of $100
In order to be considered for admission, all materials must be received no later than January 31.