Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Surgery
Faiz Tuma, MD, MME, MDE, EdS, is a board-certified surgeon and Associate Professor of Surgery at the Central Michigan University College of Medicine, Saginaw, Michigan. He earned his medical degree from Al-Nahrain University, Baghdad, Iraq. He completed his general surgery training at the Memorial University of Newfoundland in Canada. He pursued further training in minimally invasive fellowship at Case Western Reserve Center, advanced HPB training at McMaster University, and trauma fellowship at McMaster University. He earned a master degree in distance education from Athabasca University, Athabasca, Alberta, Canada, followed by a second master degree in medical education from Dundee University, Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom. He is currently pursuing a doctoral degree in Educational Technology at Walden University, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. Dr. Tuma holds the rank of Associate Professor of Surgery at Central Michigan University. He served as the Clerkship Director and the Associate Surgery Program Director of Oklahoma University College of Medicine and Central Michigan University. He is a member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons- The Resident and Fellow Training Committee, the Association for Surgical Education, and the American College of Surgeons. His educational and research interests include medical education and educational technology.
Education and Training
- MME 2020, University of Dundee
- EdS 2018, Walden University
- MDE 2015, Athabasca University
- Fellowship 2012, Trauma Surgery, McMaster University
- Fellowship 2009, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Case Western Reserve University
- Residency 2008, General Surgery, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- MBChB 1994, Al-Nahrain University
- Trauma Surgery
- Surgical resident education
- Surgical Innovation
- Medical Education
- Educational Technology
- Curriculum Design, Development & Evaluation
- Cognition in context, medical decision making, human error in medicine, human factors, visualizatio
Dahiya D.S., Kichloo A., Tuma F., Albosta M., Wani F. Radiation Proctitis and Management Strategies Clinical Endoscopy. 2022;55:22-32.
Kamel M.K., Tuma F., Keane C.A., Blebea J. National Trends and Perioperative Outcomes of Robotic-assisted Hepatectomy in the USA: A Propensity-score Matched Analysis from the National Cancer Database World Journal of Surgery. 2022;46:189-196.
Naji H., Gheewale A., Safi E., Tuma F. Assessing clinical outcomes of modified laparoscopic gastrostomy in children: a case control study BMC Surgery. 2022;22
Shea C., Sheets A., Tuma F. Prepyloric gastric diverticulum case report: A rare anatomic abnormality with limited clinical consequences Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2022;74
Tuma F. Educational benefits of writing multiple-choice questions (MCQs) with evidence-based explanation Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2022;98:77-78.
Tuma F., Knowlton L.M., Nassar A.K. Introducing advanced surgical tasks simulation for surgical training Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2022;77
Tuma F., Majeed H., Blebea J., Nassar A., Durchholz W.C., Schofield S. The educational value of an audience response system use in an Iraqi medical school BMC Medical Education. 2022;22
Faiz T., Kamel M.K., Shebrain S., Ghanem M., Blebea J. Options of Surgical Curriculum Structure and Objects During COVID-19 Pandemic Surgical Innovation. 2021;28:249-250.
Faiz T., Marar O., Kamel M.K., Vance S. Teaching Operative Surgery to Medical Students Using Live Streaming During COVID-19 Pandemic Surgical Innovation. 2021;28(2):253-254.
Hammad A., Lu V.F., Dahiya D.S., Kichloo A., Tuma F. Treatment challenges of sigmoid-shaped esophagus and severe achalasia Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2021;61:30-34.
Nassar A.K., Al-Manaseer F., Knowlton L.M., Tuma F. Virtual reality (VR) as a simulation modality for technical skills acquisition Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2021;71
Tuma F. Role and educational implications of cognitive surgical skills Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2021
Tuma F. The use of educational technology for interactive teaching in lectures Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2021;62:231-235.
Tuma F. Training on Standardized Surgical Skills as Building Units Surgical Innovation. 2021;28(1):5-6.
Tuma F., Aljazeeri J. Asynchronous group learning in learn from the learner approach: A Learning Object That Enhances and Facilitates Distance Self and Shared Learning Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2021;67
Tuma F., Aljazeeri J., Khorgami Z., Khaitan L. The level of impaired esophageal bolus transit measured by multichannel intraluminal impedance: Cross-sectional study Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2021;65
Tuma F., Kamel M.K., Shebrain S., Ghanem M., Blebea J. Alternatives surgical training approaches during COVID-19 pandemic Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2021;62:253-257.
Tuma F., Malgor R.D., Kapila N., Kamel M.K. Trends of core versus subspecialty operative procedures completed in general surgery residency training programs Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2021:159776141.
Tuma F., Malgor R.D., Nassar A.K. Actions to enhance interactive learning in surgery Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2021;64
Tuma F., Nassar A.K. Applying Bloom's taxonomy in clinical surgery: Practical examples Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2021;69
Tuma F., Nassar A.K., Kamel M.K., Knowlton L.M., Jawad N.K. Students and faculty perception of distance medical education outcomes in resource-constrained system during COVID-19 pandemic. A cross-sectional study Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2021;62:377-382.
Tuma F., Nituica C., Mansuri O., Kamel M.K., McKenna J., Blebea J. The academic experience in distance (virtual) rounding and education of emergency surgery during COVID-19 pandemic Surgery Open Science. 2021;5:6-9.
Nassar A.K., Reid S., Kahnamoui K., Tuma F., Waheed A., McConnell M. Burnout among academic clinicians as it correlates with workload and demographic variables Behavioral Sciences. 2020;10(6)
Tuma F. Evaluating Operative Skills Using Video-Recording-Aided Objective Test Surgical Innovation. 2020;27(5):421-423.
Elder T., Tuma F. Bilateral vertebral artery transection following blunt trauma International Journal of Surgery Case Reports. 2018;51:29-32.
Nassar A., Coates A., Tuma F., Farrokhyar F., Reid S. The MacTRAUMA TTL Assessment Tool: Developing a Novel Tool for Assessing Performance of Trauma Trainees: Initial Reliability Testing Journal of Surgical Education. 2016;73(6):1046-1051.
- Time to Treatment and Outcomes of Gastric Cancer Between 2004 and 2017 from the National Cancer Database. Grosh K, Kamel M, Tuna F, Shebrain S, 40th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2022
- Teaching Using Imagery Thinking Approach with Animated Infographic. Tuma F, 2021 American College of Surgeons Surgical Simulation Summit, Virtual, Online, 03/2021
- Distance Scientific Conferencing Platforms at the COVID-19 Pandemic Social Physical Distancing. Tuma F, 2021 American College of Surgeons Surgical Simulation Summit, Virtual, Online, 03/2021
- Topic-Specific Learning Progress-Based Teaching. Tuma F, 2021 American College of Surgeons Surgical Simulation Summit, Virtual, Online, 03/2021
- Introducing Advanced Surgical Tasks Simulation for General Surgery Residency Training. Williams A, Tuma F, 2021 American College of Surgeons Surgical Simulation Summit, Virtual, Online, 03/2021
- Distance Supervision and Feedback for Surgical Procedures. Tuma F, 2020 Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, Virtual, Online, 04/2020
- Evaluation of faculty's and students' perception and knowledge gain benefits of the use of the audience response system (ARS) in Iraqi medical school. Tuma F, Kamel MK, Jawad NK, Hameed HM, 2020 Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, Virtual, Online, 04/2020