Clinical Instructor, Department of Surgery
Jesse Chou, MD, is a resident physician in the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery residency program at the University of Virginia. He received his undergraduate degree at Amherst College. He completed his medical degree with Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. In addition to teaching, his academic interests lie in health services research and improving surgical outcomes.
Education and Training
- MD 2021, Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
- BA 2015, English Literature, Amherst College
- Surgical Access, Quality, and Outcomes
- Health Services Research
- Academic teaching
Tessman D., Chou J., Shebrain S., Munene G. Surgical Outcomes of Distal Pancreatectomy in Elderly Patients American Surgeon. 2022;88:115-119.
Bourgeau M.E., Key P.G., Chou J., Prahlow J.A. Left Carotid Artery Thrombosis Due to Thromboangiitis Obliterans American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology. 2021;42:297-300.
Chou J., Knight P.H., Sawyer R.G. Is the Isolation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa Associated with Outcomes from Intra-Abdominal Infection? No, but the Receipt of an Empiric Anti-Pseudomonal Agent Is Surgical Infections. 2021;22:675-679.
Zebolsky A.L., Chou J., Key P., Knight P., Mahmood G., Jain K., Rummel M. Safety and efficacy of transcarotid artery revascularization in a community hospital Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2021;74:203-208.
Chou J., Strzyzewski L., Timmers C., Hoekstra A. Cervical cancer recurrence presenting as abdominal wall mass and accompanying cellulitis Gynecologic Oncology Reports. 2020;33
Chung E.H., Chou J., Brown K.A. Neurodevelopmental outcomes of preterm infants: A recent literature review Translational Pediatrics. 2020;9:S3-S8.
Forrester J.D., Berndtson A.E., Santorelli J., Raschke E., Weiser T.G., Coombs A.V., Sawyer R.G., Chou J., Knight H.P., Valenzuela J.Y., Rickard J. Survey of National Surgical Site Infection Surveillance Programs in Low-and Middle-Income Countries Surgical Infections. 2020;21:621-625.
Hsien Lai S., Zervoudakis G., Chou J., Gurney M.E., Quesnelle K.M. PDE4 subtypes in cancer Oncogene. 2020;39:3791-3802.
Knight P., Chou J., Dusseljee M., Verseman S., Elian A. Effective reduction in stress induced postoperative hyperglycemia in bariatric surgery by better carb loading American Journal of Surgery. 2020;219:396-398.
Ransome E., Tong L., Espinosa J., Chou J., Somnay V., Munene G. Trends in surgery and disparities in receipt of surgery for intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in the US: 2005–2014 Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology. 2019;10:339-347.
- Surgical outcomes of distal pacreatectomy in elderly patients. Chou J, Tessman D, Shebrain S, Munene G, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons 2020 Annual Meeting, Online, Virtual, 08/2020
- Making an impact on patient recovery: An analysis of an enhanced recovery pathway's use of immunonutrition impact drink before elective hepatoprancreaticobiliary surgery. Chou J, Khalil S, Kramme K, Munene G, The Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract 61st Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, 05/2020
- Should I stay or should I go: The community patient's decision-making process in choosing where to have hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery. Chou J, Somnay V, Woodwyk A, Munene G, 2019 American College of Surgeons Michigan Chapter Annual Scientific Meeting, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 05/2019
- Analysis of B cell progenitors in sickle cell disease. Chou J, Holodick N, 36th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2019
- Should I stay or should I go: The community patient's decision-making process in choosing where to have hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery. Munene G, Chou J, Somnay V, Woodwyk A, Western Surgical Association 2018 Annual Scientific Session, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico, 11/2018