Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery
Steven Z Lu, DO, MPH, is a colorectal surgeon with Ascension Borgess Medical Center. He is a graduate of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He earned an MPH from Boston University School of Public Health. He received his medical degree from Touro University, California. He completed his residency in general surgery at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine and completed a fellowship in colorectal surgery at Lehigh Valley Health Network. His clinical, teaching, and research interests include robotic and laparoscopic surgery, improving surgical outcomes and expanding access to cutting edge surgical care.
Education and Training
- Fellowship 2020, Colorectal Surgery, Lehigh Valley Health Network
- Residency 2019, General Surgery, Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
- DO 2014, Touro University
- MPH 2010, International Health, Boston University
- BS 2008, Cell Molecular Biology, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- Chinese, fluent
- colorectal surgery
Lu S., Khatri R., Tanner B., Shebrain S., Munene G. Short term outcomes and unintended benefits of establishing a HPB program at a university-affiliated community hospital American Journal of Surgery. 2019;218:946-951.
Shebrain S., Arafeh M., Munene G., Shattuck C., Miller L., Lu S., Schutter D. The role of academic achievements and psychometric measures in the ranking process American Journal of Surgery. 2019;217:568-571.
Tanner B., Lu S., Zervoudakis G., Woodwyk A., Munene G. Coagulation profile following liver resection: Does liver cirrhosis affect thromboelastography? American Journal of Surgery. 2018;215(3):406-409.
- Establishing an HPB program in a university affiliated community hospital: appraisal on short-term outcomes and impact on surgical education. Lu S, Khatri R, Tanner B, Shebrain S, Munene G, Central Medical Association and Midwest Surgical Association 2017 Combined Annual Meeting , Chicago, Illinois, 07/2017
- Laparoscopic neoappendecostomy. Lu SZ, Leinwand MJ, International Pediatric Endosurgery Group's 26th Annual Congress for Endosurgery in Children, London, United Kingdom, 07/2017