Division Chief, Department of Medicine
Professor, Department of Medicine
Professor, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
Contact InformationPatient Care Related:
Dr. Thomas Melgar is as professor in the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine and also in the Department of Medicine. Dr. Melgar is Board Certified in Pediatrics and Internal Medicine. He is employed by Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. He is a graduate of the State University of New York with a BS in Biochemistry (high honors) in May 1983. He earned his medical degree also from State University of New York School of Medicine in May 1987. He completed an Internal Medicine/Pediatrics residency in May 1991 at Detroit Medical Center - Wayne State University. He received additional training in Global Health and Tropical Medicine through the Global Medicine programs at the Univdersity of Minnesota and the University of Massechusetts Amherst and is Certified by the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. He received ultrasound training through the American Society of Critical Care Medicine, Sonosite, Bronson Methodist Hospital and the American College of Physicians. He is also a testamur in Critical Care Echocardiography.
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
Education and Training
- Chief Resident 1992, Internal Medicine & Pediatrics, Detroit Medical Center, Wayne State University
- Residency 1991, Internal Medicine & Pediatrics, Detroit Medical Center, Wayne State University
- MD 1987, School of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- BS 1983, Biochemistry, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- Spanish, functional
- Internal Medicine/Pediatrics
Lima N.D.A., Byers-Spencer K., Cwikla K., Huffman C., DIaz M., Melgar T.A., Helmstetter N. Benign Cardiac Neoplasms in the United States: A Thirteen-Year Review Cardiology (Switzerland). 2021;146:748-753.
Lima N.D.A., Martin D.T., De Castro R.L., Ladzinski A., Ring A., Vos D., Melgar T.A. Hospitalization for Chagas Heart Disease in the United States from 2002 to 2017 JAMA Network Open. 2021
Melgar T.A., Bauler T.J., Lutwick L.I. Q fever in man: A one health paradigm disease The Encyclopedia of Bacteriology Research Developments. 2021;11:1689-1712.
Reaume M., Farishta M., Costello J.A., Gibb T., Melgar T.A. Analysis of lawsuits related to diagnostic errors from point-of-care ultrasound in internal medicine, paediatrics, family medicine and critical care in the USA Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2021;97:55-58.
Sieloff E.M., Rutledge B., Huffman C., Vos D., Melgar T. National trends and outcomes of genetically inherited non-alcoholic chronic liver disease in the USA: Estimates from the National Inpatient Sample (NIS) database Gastroenterology Report. 2021;9:38-48.
Maravelas R., Melgar T.A., Vos D., Lima N., Sadarangani S. Pyomyositis in the United States 2002–2014 Journal of Infection. 2020;80:497-503.
Sieloff E., Ladzinski A., Alcantara Lima N., Vos D., Boamah H., Melgar T. Hospitalizations for tuberculous peritonitis in the United States: Results from the national inpatient sample database from 2002 to 2014 International Journal of Mycobacteriology. 2020;9:167-172.
de Castro R.L., Lima N.d.A., Lino D.O.d.C., Melgar T.A. A rare case of non-prosthetic aortic valve infectious endocarditis caused by achromobacter xylosoxidans American Journal of Case Reports. 2020;21:e923031-1-e923031-5.
Lima N.D.A., Lino D.O.D.C., Coelho N.M., Melgar T. Tuberculous constrictive pericarditis BMJ Case Reports. 2019;12(7)
Lima N.d.A., Stancic C., Vos D., Carmen Diaz Insua M.M.D., Lima C.C.d.V., de Castro R.L., Maravelas R., Melgar T.A. Hospital admissions for tuberculous pericarditis in the United States 2002-2014 International journal of mycobacteriology. 2019;8:347-350.
Reaume M., Siuba M., Wagner M., Woodwyk A., Melgar T.A. Prevalence and Scope of Point-of-Care Ultrasound Education in Internal Medicine, Pediatric, and Medicine-Pediatric Residency Programs in the United States Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2019;38:1433-1439.
Melgar T.A., Wilson A. Pancreatitis in children and adolescents Chronic Disease and Disability: The Pediatric Gastrointestinal Tract. 2018:241-265.
Rich Z., Rich Z.C., Melgar T.A. Pediatric pneumonia Chronic Disease and Disability: The Pediatric Lung. 2018:125-160.
Melgar T.A., Bauler T.J., Lutwick L.I. Q fever in man: A one health paradigm disease The Principles and Practice of Q Fever: The One Health Paradigm. 2017:1-24.
Abdoh M., Mersfelder T., Melgar T. Psychosis induced by zonisamide: A case report and review of the literature American Journal of Therapeutics. 2014;21
Sadarangani S., Jibawi S., Flynn T., Melgar T.A. Primary pyomyositis: Experience over 9 years in temperate michigan Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice. 2013;21:114-122.
Chamberlain J.K., Frintner M.P., Melgar T.A., Kaelber D.C., Kan B.D. Correlates and trends in training satisfaction on completion of internal medicine-pediatrics residency: A 5-year study Journal of Pediatrics. 2012;160:690-696.
Melgar T.A., Doherty E. Cardiology Tropical Pediatrics: A Public Health Concern of International Proportions: Second Edition. 2012:129-160.
Fix A., Kaelber D.C., Melgar T.A., Chamberlain J., Cull W., Robbins B.W. Graduating med-peds residents' interest in part-time employment Academic Pediatrics. 2011;11:369-374.
Chhangani B., Melgar T., Patel D. Pediatric obstructive sleep apnea Indian Journal of Pediatrics. 2010;77:81-85.
Melgar T., Humes R. Cardiology Handbook of Clinical Pediatrics: An Update for the Ambulatory Pediatrician. 2010:225-256.
Chamberlain J., Cull W., Melgar T., Kaelber D., Kan B. The Effect of Dual Training in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics on the Career Path and Job Search Experience of Pediatric Graduates Journal of Pediatrics. 2007;151:419-424.
Melgar T., Frohna J.G. Choosing a career in combined internal medicine-pediatrics: Insights from interns Family Medicine. 2007;39:326-330.
Robbins B.W., Aronica M., Melgar T., Friedland A.R. Benchmarks for Support of Internal Medicine-Pediatrics Programs American Journal of Medicine. 2007;120:462-465.
Sharma N., Melgar T., Brands C. Survivors of childhood cancer  New England Journal of Medicine. 2007;356:192.
Melgar T., Chamberlain J.K., Cull W.L., Kaelber D.C., Kan B.D. Training experiences of U.S. combined internal medicine and pediatrics residents Academic Medicine. 2006;81:440-446.
Melgar T., Brands C., Sharma N. Healh care transition  Pediatrics. 2005;115:1449-1450.
Robbins B., Ostrovsky D.A., Melgar T. Factors in medical students' selection and ranking of combined medicine-pediatrics programs Academic Medicine. 2005;80:199.
Frohna J.G., Melgar T., Mueller C., Borden S. Internal medicine-pediatrics residency training: Current program trends and outcomes Academic Medicine. 2004;79:591-596.
Sweeney C.L., Davidson M., Melgar T., Patel D., Cucos D. The current status of sports medicine training in United States internal medicine residency programmes British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2003;37:219-225.
Melgar T., Schubiner H., Burack R., Aranha A., Musial J. A time - Motion study of the activities of attending physicians in an internal medicine and internal medicine - Pediatrics resident continuity clinic Academic Medicine. 2000;75:1138-1143.
Edwards A., Tzelepis A., Klingbeil C., Melgar T., Speece M., Schubiner H., Burack R. Fifteen years of a videotape review program for internal medicine and medicine-pediatrics residents Academic Medicine. 1996;71:744-748.
- Hospital Admissions for Mitral Stenosis in Pregnancy in the United States. A Twelve-Year Analysis. Lima N, Lima C, de Castro R, Huffman C, Diaz M, Linares S, Schauer M, Melgar M, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Bilateral Facial Nerve Palsy in a Pregnant Acute HIV Patient. Hughes N, Rehman ME, Baumgartner M, Melgar T, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Primary Pyomyositis in Children in the United States - Trends and Associations from the Healthcare Utilization Project Nationwide Inpatient Sample Data. Jenkinson K, Ring A, Emmanuel N, Maravelas R, Vos D, Barr J, Sadarangani S, Melgar T, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Chagas Heart Disease in the United States - A Thirteen Year Analysis. Lima N, Vos D, de Castro R, Ladzinski A, Lima C, Melgar T, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- A Sacroiliac Joint Simulator for Ultrasound Guided SI Joint Injections Training. Melgar T, Paranjpe A, Zahn C, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Development of Soft Tissue Simulators for Biopsy and Suturing Training Among Students and Residents. Paranjpe A, Melgar T, Zahn C, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Influence of Alcohol on Hospital Admissions, In-Hospital Death, And Liver Transplant for Patients With Wilson Disease: NIS Estimates From 2002-2014. Sieloff EM, Maisano C, Singh A, Huffman C, Driscoll R, Melgar T, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Genetic Causes of Chronic Liver Disease in Pediatrics. Fealko C, Abdeljaber M, Sieloff EM, Boyer JD, Maajali D, Huffman C, Kanungo K, Melgar T, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021