Associate Professor, Department of Surgery
Gitonga Munene, MD, is board certified in general surgeon with West Michigan Cancer Center in Kalamazoo, Michigan, as well as holding an associate professorship in the Department of Surgery at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. He earned his medical degree from the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago and completed a surgical residency at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC. He received fellowship training in surgical oncology from Tom Baker Cancer Center in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
Dr. Munene’s clinical interests include surgery for gastrointestinal cancers—gastric, hepatobiliary, pancreatic, and metastatic colon—as well as thyroid cancer, melanoma and soft tissue sarcomas. He is also trained to provide treatment for peritoneal-based malignancies using hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) – which is new to the Southwest Michigan region.
- American Board of Surgery (Surgery)
Education and Training
- Fellowship 2011, Surgical Oncology, University of Calgary
- Residency 2009, General Surgery, Georgetown University
- Research Fellowship 2004, Gastroenterology, Harvard University
- MD 2002, Northwestern University
- BS 1998, Premedicine, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
- Surgery, General
Grosh K.M., Folkert K.N., Chou J., Shebrain S.A., Munene G.M. A Cohort Study of an Enhanced Recovery Pathway for Pancreatic Surgery at a Community Hospital American Surgeon. 2022
Shehadeh A.A., McLaren G.W., Collins J.T., Munene G., Sawyer R.G., Shebrain S.A. Frailty as a Predictor of Surgical Outcomes Following Femoral Hernia Repair American Surgeon. 2022
Tessman D., Chou J., Shebrain S., Munene G. Surgical Outcomes of Distal Pancreatectomy in Elderly Patients American Surgeon. 2022;88:115-119.
Cookenmaster C., Shebrain S., Vos D., Munene G., Miller L., Sawyer R. Gender perception bias of operative autonomy evaluations among residents and faculty in general surgery training American Journal of Surgery. 2021;221:515-520.
Kramme K., Sarraf P., Shebrain S., Munene G. Safety and Efficacy of Prophylactic Enoxaparin Adjusted by Anti-Factor Xa Peak Levels in Pancreatic Surgery American Surgeon. 2021
Kwasny L., Shebrain S., Munene G., Sawyer R. Is there a gender bias in milestones evaluations in general surgery residency training? American Journal of Surgery. 2021;221:505-508.
Shebrain S., Folkert K., Baxter J., Leinwand M., Munene G., Sawyer R. SCORE-Based Simulated ABSITE Exam Performance as a Predictor of Performance on the ABSITE Journal of Surgical Education. 2021;78:1692-1701.
Shebrain S., Nava K., Munene G., Shattuck C., Collins J., Sawyer R. Virtual Surgery Oral Board Examinations in the Era of COVID-19 Pandemic. How I Do It! Journal of Surgical Education. 2021;78:740-745.
Driedger M., Zyromski N.J., Visser B.C., Jester A., Sutherland F.R., Nakeeb A., Dixon E., Dua M.M., House M.G., Worhunsky D.J., Munene G., Ball C.G. Surgical Transgastric Necrosectomy for Necrotizing Pancreatitis: A Single-stage Procedure for Walled-off Pancreatic Necrosis Annals of Surgery. 2020;271:163-168.
Kramme K., Sarraf P., Munene G. Prophylactic Enoxaparin Adjusted by Anti-Factor Xa Peak Levels Compared with Recommended Thromboprophylaxis and Rates of Clinically Evident Venous Thromboembolism in Surgical Oncology Patients Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2020;230:314-321.
Lu S., Khatri R., Tanner B., Shebrain S., Munene G. Short term outcomes and unintended benefits of establishing a HPB program at a university-affiliated community hospital American Journal of Surgery. 2019;218:946-951.
Ransome E., Tong L., Espinosa J., Chou J., Somnay V., Munene G. Trends in surgery and disparities in receipt of surgery for intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in the US: 2005–2014 Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology. 2019;10:339-347.
Shebrain S., Arafeh M., Munene G., Shattuck C., Miller L., Lu S., Schutter D. The role of academic achievements and psychometric measures in the ranking process American Journal of Surgery. 2019;217:568-571.
Shebrain S., Mahmood G., Munene G., Miller L., Collins J., Sawyer R. The Role of Manual Dexterity and Cognitive Functioning in Enhancing Resident Operative Autonomy Journal of Surgical Education. 2019;76(6):e66-e76.
Guerrero W., Munene G., Dickson P., Darby D., Davidoff A., Martin M., Glazer E., Shibata D., Deneve J. Early experience with cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy at a newly developed center for peritoneal malignancy Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology. 2018;9:338-347.
Guerrero W., Munene G., Dickson P., Stiles Z., Mays J., Davidoff A., Glazer E., Shibata D., Deneve J. Outcome and factors associated with aborted cytoreduction for peritoneal carcinomatosis Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology. 2018;9:664-673.
Lamb E.P., Pritchard F., Nouer S.S., Tolley E.A., Boyd B.S., Davidson J.T., Munene G., Fleming M.D. Understanding disparities in breast cancer care in memphis, Tennessee American Surgeon. 2018;84:620-627.
Stiles Z.E., Hinkle N.M., Munene G., Dickson P.V., Davidoff A.M., Deneve J.L. The impact of ostomy creation after cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in a newly established peritoneal malignancy program American Surgeon. 2018;84:783-788.
Tanner B., Lu S., Zervoudakis G., Woodwyk A., Munene G. Coagulation profile following liver resection: Does liver cirrhosis affect thromboelastography? American Journal of Surgery. 2018;215(3):406-409.
Espinosa J., Merlo A., Arafeh M., Munene G. An unusual case of jaundice: Biliary tumor thrombus in fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinoma International Journal of Surgery Case Reports. 2017;36:50-54.
Hinkle N., Botta V., Sharpe J., Dickson P., Deneve J., Munene G. The impact of early recurrence on quality of life after cytoreduction with HIPEC American Surgeon. 2017;83:633-639.
Soto-Ferrari M., Prieto D., Munene G. A Bayesian network and heuristic approach for systematic characterization of radiotherapy receipt after breast-conservation surgery BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. 2017;17
Hinkle N., MacDonald J., Sharpe J., Dickson P., Deneve J., Munene G. Cytoreduction with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy: an appraisal of outcomes and cost at a newly established peritoneal malignancy program American Journal of Surgery. 2016;212:413-418.
Kulke M.H., Shah M.H., Benson A.B., Bergsland E., Berlin J.D., Blaszkowsky L.S., Emerson L., Engstrom P.F., Fanta P., Giordano T., Goldner W.S., Halfdanarson T.R., Heslin M.J., Kandeel F., Kunz P.L., Kuvshinoff B.W., Lieu C., Moley J.F., Munene G., Pillarisetty V.G., Saltz L., Sosa J.A., Strosberg J.R., Vauthey J.N., Wolfgang C., Yao J.C., Burns J., Freedman-Cass D. Neuroendocrine tumors, version 1.2015 JNCCN Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. 2015;13:78-108.
Nelson J., Deneve J., Dickson P., Sylvestre P., Munene G. Management of a ruptured mucinous mesenteric cyst with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy Tumori. 2014;100
Paulus E., Fleming M., Hendrix A., Deneve J., Dickson P., Mathew A., Martin M., Munene G. The evolving role of surgery for gastric lymphoma: From curative resection to surgical management of complications American Surgeon. 2014;80:E322-E324.
Munene G., Parker R., Larrigan J., Wong J., Sutherland F., Dixon E. Sequential preoperative hepatic vein embolization after portal vein embolization for extended left hepatectomy in colorectal liver metastases World Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2013;11
Munene G., Parker R., Shaheen A., Myers R.P., Quan M.L., Ball C.G., Dixon E. Disparities in the surgical treatment of colorectal liver metastases Journal of the National Medical Association. 2013;105:128-137.
Munene G., Francis W., Garland S., Pelletier G., MacK L., Bathe O. The quality of life trajectory of resected gastric cancer Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2012;105:337-341.
Munene G., Dixon E., Sutherland F. Open transgastric debridement and internal drainage of symptomatic non-infected walled-off pancreatic necrosis HPB. 2011;13:234-239.
Munene G., MacK L., Moore R., Temple W. Neoadjuvant radiotherapy and reconstruction using autologous vein graft for the treatment of inferior vena cava leiomyosarcoma Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2011;103:175-178.
Munene G., MacK L., Temple W. Systematic review on the efficacy of multimodal treatment of sarcomatosis with cytoreduction and intraperitoneal chemotherapy Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2011;18:207-213.
Munene G., Knab M., Parag B. Laparoscopic duodenojejunostomy for superior mesenteric artery syndrome American Surgeon. 2010;76:321-324.
Crago A., Munene G., Evans S. Gastrectomy with Reconstruction Surgical Pitfalls. 2009:223-235.
Goldberg R.F., Austen W.G., Zhang X., Munene G., Mostafa G., Biswas S., McCormack M., Eberlin K.R., Nguyen J., Tatlidede H., Warren H.S., Narisawa S., Millán J.L., Hodin R.A. Intestinal alkaline phosphatase is a gut mucosal defense factor maintained by enteral nutrition Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2008;105:3551-3556.
Munene G., Graham J., Holt R., Johnson L., Marshall H. Biliary-colonic fistula: A case report and literature review American Surgeon. 2006;72:347-350.
- Perioperative Chemotherapy for Hepatic Undifferentiated Embryonal Sarcoma in a Young Adult: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Vergara R, Khalil S, Munene G, 40th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2022
- Prophylactic Enoxaparin Adjusted By Anti-Factor XA Peak Levels in Surgical Oncology Patients. Kramme K, Sarraf P, Munene G, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Outcomes of Emergency Laparoscopic vs. Open Surgery for Complicated Acute Peptic Ulcer Disease. Floth T, Dillon C, Shebrain S, Munene G, Sawyer R, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Surgical outcomes of distal pacreatectomy in elderly patients. Chou J, Tessman D, Shebrain S, Munene G, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons 2020 Annual Meeting, Online, Virtual, 08/2020
- Making an impact on patient recovery: An analysis of an enhanced recovery pathway's use of immunonutrition impact drink before elective hepatoprancreaticobiliary surgery. Chou J, Khalil S, Kramme K, Munene G, The Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract 61st Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, 05/2020
- Should I stay or should I go: The community patient's decision-making process in choosing where to have hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery. Chou J, Khalil S, Kramme K, Munene G, 2019 American College of Surgeons Michigan Chapter Annual Scientific Meeting, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 05/2019
- Should I stay or should I go: The community patient's decision-making process in choosing where to have hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery. Munene G, Chou J, Somnay V, Woodwyk A, Western Surgical Association 2018 Annual Scientific Session, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico, 11/2018
- Establishing an HPB program in a university affiliated community hospital: appraisal on short-term outcomes and impact on surgical education. Lu S, Khatri R, Tanner B, Shebrain S, Munene G, Central Medical Association and Midwest Surgical Association 2017 Combined Annual Meeting , Chicago, Illinois, 07/2017