Residency Program Director, Department of Medicine
Professor, Department of Medicine
Contact InformationPatient Care Related:
Joanne Baker, DO is Residency Program Director in the Department of Medicine at Western Michgian University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. She earned her medical degree in 1991 from Michigan State University, College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed an internal medicine residency in 1994 at Michigan State University, Genesys Regional Medical Center (previously Flint Osteopathic Hospital.
Started traditional internal medicine practice after residency for five years and then transitioned to hospitalist medicine full time in 1999. In 2001, moved to Kalamazoo and joined the Borgess Hospitalist Group and worked with them until 2010. During the 2001-2010 years, worked progressively increased percentages with MSU/KCMS in starting an AOA internship and dually accredited Internal Medicine residency program. In 2010, became the MSUCOM Clerkship Director for base students in addition to the AOA Internal Medicine residency program. In 2017, became the ACGME Internal Medicine Program Director. Continued to work part-time as a hospitalist working first at Borgess and then at Bronson Methodist Hospital until 2018.
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Internal Medicine)
- American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine (Osteopathic Internal Medicine)
Education and Training
- Fellowship 1995, Faculty Development, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Michigan State University
- Residency 1994, Internal Medicine, (previously Flint Osteopathic School), Genesys Regional Medical Center
- DO 1991, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Michigan State University
- BS 1987, Biology, Central Michigan University
- Internal Medicine
Thind G.S., Zanders S., Baker J.K. Recent advances in the understanding of endothelial barrier function and fluid therapy Postgraduate medical journal. 2018;94:289-295.
Attaway A., Mersfelder T., Vaishnav S., Baker J. Bullous pemphigoid associated with dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitors. A case report and review of literature Journal of Dermatological Case Reports. 2014;8(1):24-28.