Residency Program Director, Department of Psychiatry
Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Perry Westerman, MD, is a board-certified psychiatrist with the Department of Psychiatry at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. He is a graduate of Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio. He earned his medical degree from Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Michigan. He completed an internal medicine residency and a psychiatry residency, both with University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (Geriatric Psychiatry)
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (Psychosomatic Medicine)
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (Psychiatry)
Education and Training
- Residency 1989, Internal Medicine, University of Virginia
- Residency 1989, Behavorial Medicine and Psychiatry, University of Virginia
- MD 1984, Michigan State University
- BA 1978, Biology and Psychology, Oberlin College
- Integrative Medicine
- Geriatric Psychiatry
Westerman P., Tandon R. Improving Neuroscience Literacy of Psychiatrists Asian Journal of Psychiatry. 2019;39:A1.
Redinger M., Gibb T., Westerman P. The Cautionary Tale of the Initial Widespread Foray Into Psychiatric Genetics American Journal of Bioethics. 2017;17(4):22-24.
Westerman P. What makes a successful consultant in psychosomatic medicine?  Psychosomatics. 2005;46:276-277.
Canterbury R., Gressard C., Vieweg W., Grossman S., Mckelway R., Westerman P. Risk-taking behavior of college students and social forces American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. 1992;18:213-222.
Abraham I., Neese J., Westerman P. Depression. Nursing implications of a clinical and social problem. Nursing Clinics of North America. 1991;26:527-544.
Abraham I.L., Thompson-Heisterman A.A., Harrington D.P., Smullen D.E., Onega L.L., Droney E.G., Westerman P.S., Manning C.A., Lichtenberg P.A. Outpatient psychogeriatric nursing services: An integrative model Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 1991;5:151-164.
Canterbury R., Gressard C., Vieweg W., Grossman S., McKelway R., Westerman P. Alcohol abuse among college freshmen in Greek societies. Virginia medical quarterly : VMQ. 1991;118:171-172.
Canterbury R., Gressard C., Vieweg W., Grossman S., Westerman P., McKelway R. Psychosocial inventory among first-year college students by patterns of alcohol use Advances in Alcohol and Substance Abuse. 1991;9:1-11.
Canterbury R.J., Gressard C.F., Vieweg W.V.R., Grossman S.J., Westerman P.S., McKelway R.B. Alcohol and cocaine use among first-year college students Southern Medical Journal. 1991;84
McKelway R., Vieweg V., Westerman P. Sudden death from acute cocaine intoxication in Virginia in 1988 American Journal of Psychiatry. 1990;147:1667-1669.
Vieweg W., Harrington D., Westerman P., McKelway R., Hundley P., Yank G. Seasonal stability of water balance among schizophrenic patients subject to water intoxication Progress in Neuropsychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry. 1990;14
- Lorazepam and gabapentin improving gait instability in atypical Parkinsonism in the context of bipolar disorder and RLS with concurrent OCD. Ahmed A, Westerman P, American College of Osteopathic Neurologists and Psychiatrists 2019 Summer Meeting, Traverse City, Michigan, 07/2019