Associate Dean for Culture
Chief Wellness Officer
Associate Professor, Department of Medical Ethics, Humanities, and Law
Karen Horneffer-Ginter, PhD, received her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan and her MA and PhD from the University of Illinois in Clinical and Community Psychology. She completed her clinical psychology internship at the University of Massachusetts and more recently received a graduate certificate in International Relations from the Harvard Extension School. She has served as an Associate Professor and Program Director for WMUs Integrative Holistic Health and Wellness Program, and is also the co-founder of the Center for Psychotherapy and Wellness in Kalamazoo. Dr. Horneffer-Ginter serves as the Associate Dean for Culture and Wellness.
Education and Training
- Postgraduate Certificate 2021, Executive Leadership, SC Johnson College of Business, Cornell University
- Postgraduate Certificate 2018, International Relations, Extension School, Harvard University
- PhD 1996, Clinical and Community Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- MA 1993, Clinical and Community Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- BA 1991, Psychology, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Horneffer K. Embracing emotional pain as a means of spiritual growth: Tools from the east The Therapist’s Notebook for Integrating Spirituality in Counseling I: Homework, Handouts, and Activities for Use in Psychotherapy. 2012:267-286.
Horneffer K., Chan K. Alexithymia and relaxation: Considerations in optimising the emotional effectiveness of journaling about stressful experiences Cognition and Emotion. 2009;23(3):611-622.
Horneffer-Ginter K., Horneffer-Ginter K. Stages of change and possible selves: 2 tools for promoting college health Journal of American College Health. 2008;56(4):351-358.
Chan K., Horneffer K. Emotional expression and psychological symptoms: A comparison of writing and drawing Arts in Psychotherapy. 2006;33(1):26-36.
Horneffer K.J. Students' self-concepts: Implications for promoting self-care within the nursing curriculum Journal of Nursing Education. 2006;45(8):311-316.
Lawson K.L., Horneffer K.J. Roots and Wings:A Pilot of a Mind-Body-Spirit Program Journal of Holistic Nursing. 2002;20(3):250-263.
Horneffer K.J., Fincham F.D. Attributional models of depression and marital distress Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. 1996;22(7):678-689.
Horneffer K., Fincham F. Construct of Attributional Style in Depression and Marital Distress Journal of Family Psychology. 1995;9(2):186-195.
Kloos B., Horneffer K., Moore T. Before the beginning: Religious leaders' perceptions of the possibility for mutually beneficial collaboration with psychologists Journal of Community Psychology. 1995;23(4):275-291.
- Emotional Awareness and Well-Being Skills in the Clinic: Creating a Wellness Elective for Medical Students in Their Clinical Year. Giaquinta M, Maisano C, Zamihovsky R, Horneffer-Ginter K, 41st Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical & Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 05/2023
- Developing a Culture of Psychological Safety: Microlearning, Infographics, and Champions. Porter-Stransky K, Haymaker C, Gibson K, Rothney M, Chan T, Horneffer-Ginter K, 2023 AAMC Group on Institutional Planning National Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 04/2023
- Strategic Planning and Rebuilding Morale in a Changing Environment. Brayko C, Horneffer-Ginter K, Cerilli J, Maietta K, 2023 AAMC Group on Institutional Planning National Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 04/2023
- Introducing Mindfulness Into the UME Curriculum: Assessing the Utility of a Student-Facilitated Experiential Approach. Magidenko M, Zheng A, Aardema A, Pellman M, Sandberg M, Micheli D, Horneffer-Ginter K, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- RedCap and RShiny Together to Survey and Deliver Personalized Feedback of a Well-Being Assessment. Vos D, Bell A, Brandt R, Horneffer-Ginter K, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- The Words We Use: Identifying the Preferred Lexicon for Predictors of Physician Burnout. Horneffer-Ginter K, Greene J, Apple R, Graves L, Gibson K, Tullio J, Kaufman A, 36th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2019