Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine
Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
Contact InformationPatient Care Related:
Nic Helmstetter, MD, FAAP, FACP, is a dual-boarded Pediatrician and Internist (Med-Peds). He is a graduate of Kalamazoo College. He earned his medical degree from Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit. He completed his combined Med-Peds four-year residency training program at Michigan Medicine in Ann Arbor before joining the Med-Peds faculty at WMed. His clinical interests include office and hospital-based procedures with ultrasound guidance, Nexplanon placement, treatment of substance use disorders, caring for adolescents and young adults with special healthcare needs, and prescribing PrEP. He completed LGBTQ+ competency training via outcarehealth.org and is an OutCare member. He rounds on hospitalized adults at both Ascension Borgess and Bronson Methodist hospitals with his WMed resident physician teams. He’s been practicing street medicine as an associate director of WMed Street Medicine Kalamazoo since 2021. Overall, he enjoys caring for patients from newborns to the golden years, as well as teaching and mentoring student doctors and resident physicians.
- American Board of Pediatrics (General Pediatrics)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Internal Medicine)
Education and Training
- Residency 2018, Internal Medicine-Pediatrics, Medical School, University of Michigan
- MD 2014, School of Medicine, Wayne State University
- BA 2010, Biology, Kalamazoo College
Lima N.A., Cwikla K., Byers-Spencer K., Crumm I., Patel D., Huffman C., McGoff T.N., Young J., Melgar T.A., Helmstetter N. Malignant cardiac neoplasms and associated malignancies over 16 years in the USA Journal of Cardiology. 2023
Lima NA, Cwikla K, Byers-Spencer K, Crumm I, Patel D, Huffman C, McGoff TN, Young J, Melgar TA, Helmstetter N Malignant cardiac neoplasms and associated malignancies over 16 years in the USA. J Cardiol. 2023
Lima N.d.A., Neri A.K.M., Veras S.d.S., Guedes I.T.T., de Araujo M.S.P., Reddy S., Helmstetter N. Cardiac cysticercosis in the setting of colorectal cancer and immunosuppression Journal of Cardiology Cases. 2022;25:123-125.
Kumar D., Hans A., Warsha F., Helmstetter N. Jamestown Canyon virus-mediated meningoencephalitis with unusual laboratory findings BMJ Case Reports. 2021;14
Kumar D., Warsha F.N.U., Helmstetter N., Gupta V. Efficacy and safety of direct oral anticoagulants for treatment of left ventricular thrombus; a systematic review Acta Cardiologica. 2021;76:825-829.
Lima N.D.A., Byers-Spencer K., Cwikla K., Huffman C., DIaz M., Melgar T.A., Helmstetter N. Benign Cardiac Neoplasms in the United States: A Thirteen-Year Review Cardiology (Switzerland). 2021;146:748-753.
Nguyen M.H.N., Sieloff E.M., Fakhoury J., Helmstetter N. Taking a closer look into Crohn’s disease and cerebral palsy Clinical Journal of Gastroenterology. 2021;14:1679-1686.
Santhanam H., Nguyen M.H.N., Muthukumarasamy N., Mehta A., Francisco M.T., Fountain R.R., Helmstetter N.J. Bartonella endocarditis in patients with right ventricle-to-pulmonary artery conduit: 2 case reports and literature review IDCases. 2021;26
Greenberg J., Greenberg J., Greenberg J., Helmstetter N., Helmstetter N. Chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction due to Strongyloides stercoralis IDCases. 2018;13
Helmstetter N.J. The Twin Hospital pediatrics. 2018;8(3):176-177.
- Now, That's a Great Question! Reflections on Five-Phase Design Process for a Research Survey of Street Medicine Organizations. Root B, Natla S, Cradeur P, Hinton C, Helmstetter N, Alluri S, 41st Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical & Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 05/2023
- Street Medicine Kalamazoo: Healthcare Utilization of the Unhoused Across Care Settings. Reardon-Lochbaum R, Ziccarello J, Nickson N, Alluri S, Helmstetter N, 40th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2022
- Toward Standardization of Hospitalization for Adults With Decompensated Disordered Eating: A Case Series and Lessons Learned. Cabral MD, Helmstetter N, Ring A, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Status Cataplecticus: A Night and Day Shift Diagnosis. Moss D, Rich L, Helmstetter N, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Delayed ANCA Positivity: A Challenging Case of Multisystem EGPA. Graham B, Ladzinski A, Haris N, Kousourou G, Helmstetter N, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021