Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Family and Community Medicine
Michael Raphelson, MD has lived in Kalamazoo since 1980, graduated from Kalamazoo College with BA in Psychology and from UofM with MSW with specialty certificate in prevention. He has published in the areas of Community Mental Health and Geriatrics. Dr. Raphelson is a graduate of CHM-MSU in 1997 and is double boarded in Family Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Care. He practiced Family Medicine at Bronson from 2000-2013 and in 2013 switched his practice to dedicate full time to Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Dr. Raphelson is the Medical Director for Hospice Care of SW Michigan, the largest Non-Profit hospice in SW Michigan, and the Medical Director for the Bronson Advanced Illness Management Program, a broad, multi-disciplined program providing inpatient and home-based, palliative care services to the area.
- American Board of Family Medicine (Hospice and Palliative Medicine)
- American Board of Family Medicine (Family Medicine)
Education and Training
- Residency 2000, Family Medicine, Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies, Michigan State University
- MD 1997, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University
- MSW 1987, Social Work, School of Social Work, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- BA 1984, Psychology, Kalamazoo College
- Family Medicine
Reding G., Raphelson M. Around-the-clock mobile psychiatric crisis intervention: Another effective alternative to psychiatric hospitalization Community Mental Health Journal. 1995;31(2):179-187.
Reding K., Raphelson M., Montgomery C. Home visits: Psychiatrists' attitudes and practice patterns Community Mental Health Journal. 1994;30(3):285-296.
Dunkle R., Roberts B., Haug M., Raphelson M. An examination of coping resources of very old men and women: Their association to the relationship between stress, hassles and function Journal of Women and Aging. 1993;4(3):79-104.
- Virtual Reality Use for Symptom Management in Palliative Care: A Pilot Study to Assess User Perceptions. Johnson T, Bauler L, Vos D, Hifko A, Ahmed M, Garg P, Raphelson M, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021